View Single Post
Old July 3 2012, 05:24 AM   #172
Paper Moon
Commander

Re: Typhon Pact: Raise the Dawn by DRGIII Review Thread (Spoilers!)

Christopher wrote: View Post
Paper Moon wrote: View Post
Neither of the World Wars involved every power on Earth.
But WWII involved most of them, all but ten. And participating nations came from every continent except Antarctica. So it's hardly an exaggeration to call it a world war (unlike WWI, which was mostly Eurocentric).
Touché. However, as I said, WWI was called the "World War," however inaccurately during the years between WWI and WWII, which I'm arguing would be precedent for (yes, inaccurately) using the term "Galactic War."

Christopher, I agree that a hypothetical KA-TP war is not the biggest, baddest, most awful-est conceivable conflict. That's not the point I am trying to make.
  • The point of calling it a World War, and the point of talking about the entire Alpha Quadrant being at stake was to emphasize the previously unseen scale of the conflicts.
    Yeah, and that's what I don't get -- this notion that a Khitomer Accords/Typhon Pact war would somehow be bigger than the Dominion War.
    As I said, a KA-TP war would happen on a
    previously unseen scale in terms of breadth and complexity (though not necessarily destruction, manpower and death).
    The only local powers of any size that would not be involved (at the start) would be the Talarians, the First Federation, the Sheliak and the Regnancy of the Carnelian Throne. And those last two aren't even that local. Nearly all the local powers would be fighting each other. While that may or may not be as destructive or deadly as previous conflicts, I think it would be a milestone in the history of the Local Powers enough to warrant a somewhat exaggerated name like "The Galactic War".
  • The Dominion alone is 2000 years old and rules over thousands of worlds. It's probably bigger than all the Khitomer allies and Typhon Pact powers combined, not just in size but in the amount of resources and power it was able to bring to bear.
    Yes, the Dominion was a giant, but it was a giant on the other side of the galaxy; they were limited by what they could bring through the wormhole. And for more than half the war, they were cut off from everything "at home." Weyoun's reaction to the destruction of the cloning facilities at Rondac ("I could be the last Weyoun.") suggests that the Dominion could not replace everything on the AQ side of the wormhole, which implies that they were somewhat limited compared to what they were capable of in the GQ.
  • And the physical territory of the participants really wouldn't be that much larger anyway, because if we go by Star Charts, then of the Accord and Pact members that weren't involved in the Dominion War, only the Tholians have a really large territory; Ferengi, Gorn, Tzenkethi, and presumably Kinshaya space are all rather tiny compared to the others.
    But the Dominion was limited by Cardassian (and possibly eventually Breen) geography. (Astrography?) They could only attack the Federation along the Cardassian border, which according to the Star Charts, is not an exceptionally long border. They clearly pummeled the Federation there, and pushed into Federation territory, but they were not waging a multi-front war against the Federation the way the Typhon Pact would against the Khitomer Accords. (Well, we did hear about Jem'Hadar "crossing over the Romulan's back yards" to give the UFP and the Klingons bloody noses over there, but those sounded like relatively limited engagements.) We know that supply lines and maintaining the border were both difficulties during the DW; imagine if they were fighting a full war simultaneously on half a dozen borders. Maybe not as destructive, but still a Really Big Deal.
  • Only tangentially relevant, but I can't really recall people referring to the Borg Invasion as a "war". They always seem to call it an "invasion." That's why I compared it to the Depression and the Dust Bowl; it's a "thing," not a nation, that was fought.
  • And, of course, if both sides had slipstream capabilities, then you might see much more fighting within, as opposed to along, borders, which would make the fighting more widespread, or at least appear to be, anyway. And that could lead the conflict to be popularly called "the Galactic War." "Jeez, you can't go anywhere in this galaxy without running into some skirmish or what not!"

I'm not saying that a hypothetical TP-KA war would be the deadliest or most destructive conflict the Local Powers have ever seen. I'm saying that it would be a large, wide-reaching, if not necessarily "deep" conflict, the likes of which the Local Powers have not seen in recent history. And therefore I think that calling it a "Galactic War" is not "pretty disingenuous analogy." Maybe an exaggeration of moderate, but not unacceptable proportions, but still an idea with merit that doesn't need to be shot down immediately after take off.

I highly doubt TPTB will write a TP-KA war. But if they did, I could reasonably see someone in-universe calling it "the Galactic War," just as I can reasonably see the parallels between the novelverse's 2383 and our universe's early 20th century.

On a related note, though, the Star Charts are really dreadful in terms of the present novelverse continuity. I find it hard to believe that the Klingon Empire and the Federation are so huge, while everyone else isn't. I mean, you can make it make sense, I guess, but it just seems like something that would come up in discussion more (in-universe).
Paper Moon is offline   Reply With Quote