View Single Post
Old July 3 2012, 02:23 AM   #167
Christopher
Writer

Re: Typhon Pact: Raise the Dawn by DRGIII Review Thread (Spoilers!)

Paper Moon wrote: View Post
If anything, I'd say that the Dominion War was Galactic War I (WWI redux), the Borg Invasion was a natural/economic disaster la the Dust Bowl and the Great Depression, and a hypothetical TP-KA war would be GWII (WWII redux).
So, still not the first, which was my point.

The Dominion War did have two alliances fighting each other, with each member of each alliance having a different goal and agenda, so that's why I count it as GWI. On the other hand, nearly half the powers in a hypothetical TP-KA war weren't involved at all in the Dominion War (KA: Ferengi Alliance, TP: Holy Order of the Kinshaya, Tholian Assembly, Tzenkethi Coalition, the Gorn Hegemony [sorta]), which, you could argue, would mean that a TP-KA war would be the first truly galactic war. Or would be closer to being an actual galactic war, anyway.
Except that all those powers only occupy the central portion of the Orion Arm, which is a teeeeeeeeny-tiny fraction of the galaxy. In terms of scale, that's kind of like calling the Hatfield-McCoy feud a global war. At least the Dominion War was between powers on opposite sides of the galaxy, although they still collectively occupied only a fraction of a percent of its volume. (Really, there is no valid Earthbound analogy for anything as vast as the galaxy.)

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote