View Single Post
Old July 3 2012, 02:22 AM   #166
Paper Moon
Commander

Re: Typhon Pact: Raise the Dawn by DRGIII Review Thread (Spoilers!)

Sci wrote: View Post
Paper Moon wrote: View Post
One thing I cared for less about this novel (and PoN) is a very small, nitpicky thing, but I was surprised at how much I didn't care for a Starfleet ship being named the First Minister (and wasn't there a President too?); it makes sense to parallel the name "Sovereign," but they just seem too easily confusing.
I actually liked that. I liked to imagine that there are ships named for every head of state and head of government for Federation Member worlds. Like:
  • U.S.S. President (e.g., President of Trill)
  • U.S.S. First Minister (e.g., First Minister of Bajor)
  • U.S.S. Chancellor (e.g., Chancellor of Coridan)
  • U.S.S. Presider (e.g., Presider of Andor)
  • U.S.S. Governor (e.g., Governor of Betazed)
  • U.S.S. Caliph (e.g., Caliph of Koa)
  • U.S.S. Prime Minister (e.g., Prime Minister of United Earth)
  • U.S.S. Administrator (e.g., Administrator of Vulcan)
  • U.S.S. Leader (e.g., Leader of Zalda)
  • U.S.S. Chief Representative (e.g., Chief Representative of Alpha Proxima II)
Etc.
Hmm, when you lay it out like that, it does actually look pretty cool.

But, I'm still not quite sure it works for me: "Attention enemy vessel. This is Captain John Smith of the Federation Starship Admininstrator. You will disarm your weapons and stand down." Some titles on that list work better than others in this example, but you get what I mean.

Still, to each his/her/hir/its own. I appreciate DRGIII's thoughtfulness in thinking up these names.

(Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but don't real-world navies also name ships in this fashion?)
Paper Moon is offline   Reply With Quote