View Single Post
Old June 29 2012, 09:54 AM   #769
RJDementia13
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Re: Let's Talk About Horror Fiction and Film

Spaceman Spiff wrote: View Post
Yes! YEEEEESSS!

For the first time ever eight of the most iconic cinematic masterpieces of the horror genre are available together on Blu-ray as Universal Classic Monsters: The Essential Collection debuts on October 2, 2012, from Universal Studios Home Entertainment.

From the Press Release:
Digitally restored from high resolution film elements in perfect high-definition picture and perfect high-definition sound for the first time ever, Universal Classic Monsters: The Essential Collection brings together the very best of Universal’s legendary monsters—imaginative and technically groundbreaking tales of terror that launched a uniquely American movie genre. This definitive collection features eight films on Blu-ray, a collectible 48-page book featuring behind-the-scenes photographs, original posters, correspondence, and much more. Each iconic film is accompanied by an array of bonus features that tell the fascinating story of its creation and history, including behind-the-scenes documentaries, filmmaker commentaries, interviews, storyboards, photo galleries, and trailers. Especially appealing for fans are a never-before-seen featurette about the restoration of Dracula (see a little of that below) and the first ever offering of Creature from the Black Lagoon in its restored Blu-ray 3D version.
It seems like I just bought those Legacy collections. This collections looks really nice, though. Interesting that Phantom of the Opera is included. I guess he didn't get a Legacy collection because he never had a sequel or appeared in a sequel, poor guy.

Spaceman Spiff wrote: View Post
Also, there's some potentially interesting news regarding Dorchester Publishing (Leisure Horror), who we've discussed in this thread.

A few months back, Dorchester pretty much collapsed after barely trying out their ebook/POD business model. And since authors weren't getting paid royalties or getting their rights reverted back, not many people had sympathy.

But now Amazon is bidding to buy their assets.

There are no guarantees, but the way Amazon's been courting authors, it seems like potentially a good deal for these authors. There's no telling if Amazon would be required to fork over the monies owed, but I wouldn't be surprised if they did it anyway just to pull these authors in.

Here's hoping.
Actually, the article does say that Amazon would pay all outstanding royalties to authors. This would be great news for everybody concerned. While I love real physical books, e-publishing is much more profitable and affordable (and environmentally friendly). My e-book is priced at only 99 cents, yet I make three times more from every sale than I do from one of my paperbacks. It also makes it easy to keep classic stuff available and you can carry it all around with you-- my Nook is full of a library's worth of stuff like Lord Dunsany, Algernon Blackwood, Clark Ashton Smith, H Rider Haggard et mucho al.