View Single Post
Old June 28 2012, 04:58 AM   #28
Christopher
Writer

Re: Futurama Season 7 Discussion Thread

Not bad, but a bit too close a parallel to recent events. It probably won't hold up well in years to come. Also, I'm disappointed by the ending -- it would've been nice to have some real change in the premise. I thought that where they were going was that the new guy would turn out to be just more of the same once he actually got into office. After all, there is no real "right" version of time-travel fiction (he could've just created an alternate timeline and lived on in it), just whatever suits the story you want to tell. (According to real physics, time travel is most likely impossible, and if it's not, then it would be self-consistent with no alteration possible.)

The thing that bugged me the most was the way the episode embraced the lazy, ignorant stereotype of Africa = jungle and animals. Africa is the most diverse continent on Earth in geography, climate, culture, and ethnicity. It has plenty of major, modern cities, so there's no reason 31st-century Africa couldn't have looked as high-tech and urbanized as most other locations they visit. At the very least, Kenya's ecosystem is savannah and steppe, not jungle.

I did like the continuity nod to Bender's Big Score -- that they figured out time travel by finding a record of the code Bender used in that film.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote