Thread: Mass Effect 3
View Single Post
Old June 27 2012, 11:38 PM   #1350
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

Re: Mass Effect 3

newtype_alpha wrote: View Post
It probably isn't so much that every individual reaper is dedicated to devouring organic life. It's just that MOST of them are, and the Catalyst is the only thing keeping their appetite for destruction partially in check.
Except that the Reapers are dedicated to harvesting organic and synthetic life, because that is the motivation and purpose given to them by their creator, the Catalyst. The EC data files suggest that a Reaper unshackled from the Catalyst's control (in this case, the one referred to as Leviathan) has free will... and Leviathan chooses to rebel against the purpose for which it was created, and moreover chooses to ally with organics to destroy the other Reapers. Obviously we won't know its motivation until this DLC is released (assuming it is indeed intended to be future DLC), though presumably the collective species that makes up Leviathan is still disgusted by the "solution" that its creation the Catalyst decided upon.

We have no way of knowing what other unshackled Reapers would do, because we have no other instances of there being an uncontrolled Reaper. But since we know each Reaper was once a species that was harvested by other Reapers to be created into a new Reaper (i.e., "preserving the species"), there's also no reason for us to automatically assume that most Reapers, if uncontrolled by the Catalyst and able to act upon free will once again, would choose to perpetuate an organics versus synthetics cycle. This possibility is enough for me to call "bullshit" on the Catalyst's blind belief that organics and synthetics will always want to destroy one another.

newtype_alpha wrote: View Post
Reapers don't have real names, they are merely content to use the names given to them by others (even the name "Reapers" is merely what the Protheans called them).
I used quotations around the word "real" for a reason in that previous post - I was using it as shorthand.

Speaking of bullshit, did anyone else roll their eyes at the Catalyst's expanded description of Synthesis? It says that it had tried similar solutions in the past, but theorized each attempt had failed because the outcome had been forced upon the species in question. It says that Shepard can make the choice - except that Shepard is then acting in the Catalyst's stead, and still forcing that outcome on the species of this cycle. There's no difference.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote