View Single Post
Old June 27 2012, 03:56 PM   #17
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Re: Why is Nemesis hated so much?

sonak wrote: View Post
C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
I didn't really care for Nemesis when it first came out. After realizing that ENT wasn't my cup of tea, I was really looking forward to a return to the 24th-Century at the time. What I got, however, was a less than amazing final nail in the coffin of the era. My disappointment was extremely high, because for all intents and purposes back in '02, my Trekking days were over.
Stephen! wrote:
I'd have thought after 10 years, people would have mellowed a bit and not be as harsh towards it.
It actually took me less than 10 years to do that. I think I went five or six years before I saw Nemesis for the second time (the longest I ever went without seeing a Trek movie twice). And while all the things I thought could have been done better were still there, I found myself not caring the second time around and liked it a lot better than I did the first time. For me, I think I saw it from a more casual perspective and just had fun with it, "flaws and all."
I've had a similar reaction to it. Disliked it when it came out, but after watching it more over the years, I've come to think of it as decent, and certainly better than "Insurrection," which unlike NEM, doesn't get better with repeat viewings.
I actually didn't mind Insurrection at all, but I do rank it below Nemesis these days (that wasn't the case ten years ago, though).