View Single Post
Old June 27 2012, 06:35 AM   #813
Yminale
Rear Admiral

Re: PROMETHEUS - Grade and Discuss

Danny99 wrote: View Post
There is just too many things wrong with this movie. It is just too stupid. If this is what Sci Fi is becoming, I'm afraid.
Well get use to it. Sci-Fi is getting dumber not because of Americans. Studies have shown that current Americans are as ignorant of science as previous generations. The problem is most movies need to play well with foreign audiences so good by complex narratives and interesting dialogue (won't translate well) and hello special effects.

That being said, it's obvious that Prometheus was badly edited to fit a two hour time slot. I'm going to wait for the definitive director's cut before I judge the movie.

As for the crew, I have my own theory. I don't think they were really "scientists", I think they were mercenaries or corporate security whose job was to deal with our Creators if they got hostile. I also think they at least Weyland and David knew more than they let on. Someone like Weyland could pay to observe the planet from a distance and then sent remote probes. Finally the connection between the Engineers and Sumerian epic of Gilgamesh, I think was suppose to be more explicit. In the epic, Gilgamesh searches for the key of to immortal life from the gods.