View Single Post
Old June 24 2012, 08:49 PM   #775
Nightowl1701
Commander

Re: PROMETHEUS - Grade and Discuss

Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
Again... WHY hire cannon fodder? That fundamentally makes NO sense. Why not hire people who are EFFECTIVE?
(sigh) Hell, I don't know...maybe because he thought they'd be more effective than they were (or at least not get themselves killed)? This goes back to the whole "Vickers sabotaged the mission by hiring idiots" theory. I have a hard time believing Weyland himself would have handpicked two squeamish potheads. I'm sure if he was doing the recruiting, he would have gotten more competent people. Again, effective or not, his only real criteria would have been that they STAY THE HELL OUT OF HIS WAY when it comes time to say "Hi" to E.T.

And David wasn't running away... nor getting lost... seemed to be able to do everything...
David was Weyland's ace in the hole, no doubt. (Even against Vickers' presumed backstabbing.) I'm guessing he was the first David 8 off the assembly line, hence Weyland thinking of him as a son.

You brought up Michael Collins in comparison to the "dregs" of the science community, like those on board Prometheus, not what people under 30 would think. Why don't you address that?
Thank God, there have been no "dregs" on any real spaceflights for me to compare Millburn & Fifield to! OK, dregs was obviously too strong a word. I was only trying to draw the parallel to who people remember from these history-making missions and who Weyland would obviously like Earth to remember from this mission. I in no way intended any insult or offense to Mr. Collins, and I apologize.
Nightowl1701 is offline   Reply With Quote