View Single Post
Old June 23 2012, 11:23 PM   #22
Christopher
Writer

Re: Futurama Season 7 Discussion Thread

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
So everyone is complaining about the implausibility that we've never known that robots can reproduce, yet Earth and Mars coming so close together with no gravitational perturbations at all, that gets a pass?
A work of fantasy doesn't have to be consistent with the laws of the real world, but it should be consistent with its own internal logic and rules. Most importantly, it should be true to its characters, and as I said, I can't believe a megalomaniac like Mom, who's been explicitly shown using her robots' programmed filial devotion to her as a tool for world conquest, would permit her robots to have any mother figures except her. That's just out of character. But playing fast and loose with the laws of physics is entirely consistent with the previous Futurama universe.

Nightowl1701 wrote: View Post
That's something that bothered me about Futurama. In cartoon sitcoms like this (Simpsons, Family Guy, Flintstones, Jetsons), the passage of time (or lack thereof) is excusable since no calendar year is given. But this show explicitly started in late 2999, and the show has counted in "real time" ever since (the season opener says it's now 3012).

So 13 years since Philip J Fry woke up in the future, yet our cast hasn't aged (or are trying very hard to look/act like they haven't aged). Would it be so bad if Cubert and Dwight were grown up, Farnsworth was a talking head in a jar (or on a robot body), Amy's slutty party-girl lifestyle was starting to fight a losing battle with maturity (isn't she supposed to be married to Kip?) or Zapp found himself promoted to Admiral and trying to find ways to escape his desk job and get back on his ship? Incorporating time into this show could open up some intriguing story possibilities.
I agree. What was cool about the original series is that it allowed real growth and change for its characters, at least occasionally and incrementally. It felt like it wouldn't be caught in a perpetual present like The Simpsons, and that made it distinctive and appealing to me, since I was starting to find The Simpsons increasingly stale even then.

But now they're pretty much doing as The Simpsons did and as Marvel Comics has generally done -- always keeping pace with the current year (plus 1000), but not aging the characters.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote