View Single Post
Old June 23 2012, 01:39 AM   #198
The Wormhole
Admiral

Re: Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter produced by Tim Burton in the work

So, are we using this thread to discuss the movie? Srew it, we are now.

An excellent movie, if I do say so myself. Pretty damn cool throughout with some rather creative action scenes. On in particular, Lincoln is fighting a vampire among a rampaging stampede of horses. The vampire actually lifts up a horse and throws it at Lincoln. Seriously, when was the last time anyone saw shit that cool in a movie?

I was a bit disappointed by the lack of historical accuracy. Before you start going "how accurate do you expect a movie about Abraham Lincoln fighting vampires to be?" let me explain. The book is is remarkably accurate to historal facts. As I've explained before, it's basically Lincoln's biography as well as an account of the events that went on throughout his life, that just happens to have vampires inserted into it, and they are inserted in such a way that you would think they were real. The movie is rather liberal in its depiction of history, most glaring of all Lincoln's family. Particularly, how many children he had. This is done for obvious needs of the story and really it's no worse than most movies based on actual historical events/people, but I find it jarring.

There was actually alot of material from the book left out of the movie that I thought would have been great additions. For the most part, I understand why this is, the book would have been unfilmable were it faithfully adapted. And while the book is basically Lincoln's life story, this movie is really just his beginnings as a lowly vampire hunter moving onto his time as President when he fought against them in war And really, there's enough there to fill one movie, so I can accept other stuff left out. Still all this said, I would have loved it if the book's actual epilogue were included in the movie. It almost seemed as though they were going to do a variation on it in the movie's actual final scene, but they went in a different direction with that. The scene itself is a fitting bookend to the movie's beginning.

Historical accuracy and faithfulness to the book aside, this movie is really cool with and great entertainment. I definately recommend it and rate it 9 out of 10.