View Single Post
Old June 23 2012, 12:07 AM   #836
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

Re: Heroic Age/Avengers Ongoing Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
I'm not actively reading the Spiderbooks so my question is this: Is Silver Sable really dead? If so what are the apparent loop holes. Like other characters she'll be back some way, some how--it's why I'm not too worked up about it. Comic deaths have for sometime lost their shock value over the last decade.
Probably not. In the final issue of the "Ends of the Earth" story arc in Amazing, Spidey was forced to leave her behind because Rhino had grabbed hold of her, refusing to budge from where he was standing even as the room was filling with water. If he hadn't left Sable, Spidey wouldn't have been able to stop Doc Ock's satellites from frying the planet.

The way the apparent death was handled in both that issue and this epilogue in Avenging, however, wasn't for shock value at all but rather to see what it means to Spidey, especially in light of his "no one dies when I'm around" rule.

Also, for what it's worth, I only recently jumped back into comics, so the "Ends of the Earth" story arc was my first introduction to Slott's work on Spidey and he definitely has the character down. If you're a fan of the character, Amazing is worth your time and money (the only issues of Avenging I've read were this one and the one that tied into Daredevil's "Omega Effect" story arc). If I suddenly needed to drop every Marvel comic I'm reading for whatever reason, Amazing Spider-Man is the one title that I'd still try to find the money for (though I'm also quite enjoying Journey into Mystery - so thanks to Turtletrekker for championing that one in this thread, prompting me to try it out!).
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote