View Single Post
Old June 22 2012, 05:27 AM   #267
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Re: Avengers Vs. X-Men -- Speculation, Spoilers, and Discussion

Well, things are finally getting interesting. I don't see this ending well for the X-Men or Cyclops in particular. Now that we have reached the second part of the story, it seems like the entire first act could have been done in two or maybe three issues rather than five, but that's par for the course these days. I haven't been a big fan of Hank McCoy since he left the X-Men, but find it appropriate that he is the first to realize that both sides are off their rockers and walk away.

New Avengers 27 was interesting. Wrapping up (?) the story of Fonji, the Phoenix host from hundreds of years ago, and segueing into the modern day with Hope in K'un L'un with Iron Fist and Yu Ti. No explanation is given for how Hope wound up there when last we saw her was in Wanda's care, but it was an interesting issue. The revelation that Spider-Man is the one who needs to train Hope for what's to come was an interesting twist and Bendis gave Hope and Peter some interesting (non-romantic) chemistry together.

Avengers Academy 32 was OK. Other than their appearances in AA, I am totally unfamiliar with Juston and his sentinel, so it was hard for me to care when Emma showed up to slag it. Emma-Phoenix seemed rather reasonable about re-programming the sentinel until Juston's rather strange declaration of love for the thing caused Laura to attack Emma. While I liked the previous arc involving the Generation Hope/New X-Men kids, this arc is starting out a little flat. I'll be glad when AA moves past AvX and into the "Final Exam" arc.

Uncanny X-Men 14 was intriguing. Mr. Sinister has always been a "meh" kind of villain for the most part, but I enjoy Gillen's take on the character. Dustin Weaver's art was incredible and makes me even more anxious for Marvel to finally release the final two issues of SHIELD. Sinister's plan to take on the Phoenix Five is ingenious. How better to take on five Phoenix hosts than with six clones of THE Phoenix host, Jean Grey (AKA "Madelynes")?

Last edited by Turtletrekker; June 22 2012 at 12:23 PM.
Turtletrekker is offline   Reply With Quote