View Single Post
Old June 21 2012, 04:27 PM   #105
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: The operational status of NCC 1701-A...?

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
C.E. Evans wrote: View Post

But says only about transwarp drive. Otherwise, the Excelsior-class design had already been verified as being spaceworthy and ready for mass-production. The same would apply to the other starship classes.
Care to point to any evidence at all for this assertion? Canon? Non-canon?

Nothing but onscreen stuff:
  • The fact that there were three more NX-class ships being built while NX-01 was essentially on her maiden voyage.
  • Two other Galaxy-class ships in service alongside the Enterprise-D while the design was still considered fairly new within the fleet.
  • Other Defiant-class ships in service alongside the Defiant.
Once again, all of them were using engines that weren't quantum leaps over what came before. Transwarp is suppose to be a technological leap and I'm sure that the class was built around it. Power conduits had to be created that could handle the amount of power that flows through based on the obviously much larger power plant and warp nacelles.

You don't begin mass production until your sure the basic components of the design actually work. It's silly.

*When the Galaxy-class Enterprise launched, we have no idea how long the U.S.S. Galaxy had been in service nor do we know how long her trial runs were.

*The Defiant got an extended shakedown at Deep Space Nine before we began seeing others appear.

*Since the NX-02 was still being constructed four years after the launch of NX-01, I imagine they at least made sure the ship worked in trial runs before ordering more.