View Single Post
Old June 21 2012, 03:49 PM   #94
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: The operational status of NCC 1701-A...?

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post

I disagree. Starfleet personnel were still impressed with seeing the Enterprse-D, even though the Galaxy-class had presumably been in service for a while by then. Not everyone gets to see the newest ship-of-the-line design up close.
But these were people from throughout the Federation, at the time we know of only three Galaxy-class starships in service. Kirk and company were actually stationed on or around Earth.

I doubt that, given how much Sulu and Kirk knew about it. It could simply have been built at another shipyard and then sent to Spacedock for her trial runs. Star Trek III was the first time Kirk and the gang finally saw her.
Kirk is the Chief of Starfleet Operations and calls the vessel "The Great Experiment", so I doubt this is his first time seeing the vessel. He even knows that it is ready for trial runs:

The Search for Spock wrote:
My friends, the great experiment. The Excelsior, ready for trial runs.
Sulu sounds like someone who has heard rumors but nothing confirmed:

The Search for Spock wrote:
She's supposed to have transwarp drive.