Old June 19 2012, 11:51 PM   #117
MauriceNavidad
Vice Admiral

View MauriceNavidad's Twitter Profile
Re: Fan Film Writer's Primer

MikeH92467 wrote: View Post
Maurice wrote: View Post
JarodRussell wrote: View Post

I'd change that statement into "... if you knew the rules".
You don't have to follow them if you don't want to, but you should know what you're doing and why you're doing it.
You're right on that word choice. I tweaked that, as it's more what I meant than the word I'd written.

MikeH92467 wrote: View Post
...Long before Picasso became the greatest abstract artist ever, he was a superbly trained traditional artist. He may have broken every rule in the book when he turned to cubism, but he knew exactly what he was doing and why. Jean Luc Godard, did the something with a film in the 60's. He deliberately used weird camera angles and distracting cuts to create a specific effect.
Exactly. I like to say you need to be able to walk before you can run.

I don't want to pull this into a discussion about cinematography, as I was merely using it illustrate a principle about "rules". The real topic here is writing, after all.
I think your bottom line is pretty clear: know the rules first, once you know them inside and out, break them as you see fit in the interest of good storytelling.
I dunno if I'd go as far as "as you see fit" because that makes it sound like these things are obstacles to be overcome rather than what they are, which are guidelines. But you've more of summed up my sentiment.
MauriceNavidad is online now   Reply With Quote