Thread: Batman...
View Single Post
Old June 19 2012, 11:15 PM   #148
Warped9
Admiral

Re: Batman...

The Dark Knight (2008) *****

A madman reigns terror and chaos upon Gotham City.

A movie like Avengers might make the big bucks as well as other superheroes being popular, but no one is doing the superhero like Christopher Nolan's take on Batman.

Watching this is a whole other experience in this genre. Granted it, too, sometimes goes over-the-top, but you somehow excuse it because everything seems so much more grounded than in other films.

This film really does talk about the idea of what it could conceivably be like if someone really did suit up to fight the criminals. They certainly wouldn't just pack it in. They would definitely fight and someone truly bent could rise up to take on the hero.

I really like this film, but it isn't perfect. On a minor note the infamous Batman growl seems more pronounced here than in Batman Begins. Bruce seized onto the idea of Harvey Dent as saviour a little too easily and likely prompted by his pining for Rachel. Too bad he couldn't see that she was already out of reach. It was clear she really didn't know him. I also don't really agree with the ending thought that Batman had to be made into a hunted criminal just to cover up what Harvey had done. If a scapegoat were really need there were certainly other more "worthy" candidates available in a snake pit like Gotham City.

I mentioned some over-the-top moments: Well, just when did the Joker have the time and foresight and opportunity to so thoroughly lace the hospital with explosives? Seeing the tractor trailer flip end-over-end struck me as highly unlikely. Catching Rachel in midair, not deploying the cape as glider and yet they still survived the fall unscathed!!! And there were a few other moments. Well, it is a superhero film.

Watching this again, though, it is a good followup to Batman Begins. But it does make me wonder: as much as I look forward to The Dark Knight Rises I do wonder about how Nolan will be able to top The Dark Knight.