View Single Post
Old June 17 2012, 08:06 AM   #114
Mr_Homn
Captain

Re: Revisiting the films...

Really enjoyed the reviews, Warped9. Thanks for putting in the time and effort. I wouldn't have the patience to flesh out my feelings/opinions of these movies, especially considering their overall mediocrity.

I agree with the majority of what you said. I wouldn't put TMP at the top, although I agree with most of your points. The cons you listed hurt it more for me than it does for you, apparently. I also sort of resent it. We never would have gotten the Meyer crap or the rest of the crap if it had delivered. It let us down and its failure paved the way for much of the stupidity to take its place. I can't blame that all on this movie, of course, but I can't help but imagine how much better the Trek universe would be today if TMP was planned out with more - I don't know - Care? Thought? Time?... In that way, TMP's flaws upset me more than the subsequent movies.

Also, I definitely think TFF is a better movie than TUC. Actually, I should probably say it's a better Star Trek movie. From your review, it sounded like you think that way too, although your ratings say otherwise.

I completely share your thoughts and overall sentiment on Star Trek '09, for obvious (to you and I at least) reasons.

In my opinion, the Star Trek film "experiment" as a whole has been a failure. None of the Star Trek movies ever matched TOS or TNG at their best. They could have been SO much better. Of course if you look at it from a purely financial standpoint, it's been a success for the most part, but that means little to me. The TNG movies especially were painfully disappointing. Patrick Stewart and company *really* deserved better. At least when you combine the Original 6 movies, there's about 2 or 3 movies worth of good stuff spread out in there. There's *maybe* an episode's worth of good stuff in the TNG movies... Ugh.

I sound like I hate these movies, but I just find them very disappointing, compared to what they should have been. Okay, I DO hate a few of them. But I do still get enjoyment out of watching some of them as well. Quite a bit of enjoyment for a few of them. They are guilty pleasures for the most part, but they can be a lot of fun in the right mindset.

But, in the end, I would happily throw them all away for one more *good* season of TOS or TNG.

Last edited by Mr_Homn; June 17 2012 at 08:39 AM.
Mr_Homn is offline   Reply With Quote