View Single Post
Old June 14 2012, 05:42 PM   #335
Christopher
Writer

Re: DTI: Forgotten History by C. L. Bennett Review Thread (Spoilers!)

RPJOB wrote: View Post
The writers intent may have been that it was "our" Spock that we were seeing. In fact, I'm confident that you could say that with certainty. However, just like TATV being a holodeck program gave you an out for undoing Trip's death, the fact that the movie establishes itself as an alternate universe allows for the interpretation that this is a Spock from a universe very similar to but probably different in some ways, to the one we saw on TOS, TNG, etc.
Yes, it allows for that interpretation, but I don't find it a desirable or useful interpretation, and I can't believe any licensed tie-in would be based on it. And it's just the same old reaction from fans who are intolerant of the new and different, just like they were with TNG and ENT in years past. Those attitudes always exist, but they never win out in the long run. Eventually the new interpretation gets accepted as part of the whole, except by a tiny minority of purists. That's always been the pattern in the past, and I see no reason to expect anything different this time. The original continuity remains enduringly popular and the Abrams continuity is hugely popular, so there's no reason to think that any future Trek creators would want to avoid drawing on one or the other.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote