View Single Post
Old June 13 2012, 10:34 PM   #44
Christopher
Writer

Re: IDW to publish post-Nemesis TNG Borg story, possibly Destiny

BritishSeaPower wrote: View Post
I should have been clearer, by Book-to-comic I really meant Inter-media continuity.
Sure, I know what you meant, but I was taking advantage of the way it was phrased to distinguish between book-to-comic and comic-to-book, so as to make a point.

Fer I'm thinking of Dark Empire I & II which were written as sequels to the Thrawn Trilogy and had some elements incorporated into the Jedi Academy trilogy. All in a relatively short amount of time. There are quite a number of major continuity points in those comics that later books utilize. As well, something like Star Wars Republic actually shaped a lot of the background of the prequels and showcased the Clone Wars soon after the second movie and ended up being mined for the Clone Wars novels. (The new show has created some problems.)
I don't think the latter case is an example of the different works being developed simultaneously. And just because it can be done on occasion, that doesn't necessarily mean it's a good way of doing business on a continuing basis. The job is complicated enough without constantly having to be constrained by what a separate company is doing.

I'd much prefer having a richer, multi-media story board then having "One direction for one, another for another."
I'd say that having multiple different interpretations of the continuity, different ways of exploring the same idea and taking it in different directions, can be richer than having only one.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote