View Single Post
Old June 13 2012, 03:29 PM   #1357
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Re: AVENGERS: Grade, Reviews, Discuss, DVD & Sequel **SPOILERS**

The idea that a bare bones edition of The Avengers would hit mid-September came as odd to me when I first heard it. For the fact that it would still likely be playing in a few hundred theaters. Even if those were $1 cinemas.

Now, this new rumor I'm hearing of Disney allegedly planning an Avengers re-release with additional footage, up to 30minutes, puts things a bit more in perspective. It's from AICN so keep the salt handy but I'm hoping it's true.
Could the nation’s cinemas be getting a 35-minute-longer “director’s cut” of Joss Whedon’s “Marvel’s The Avengers” this August?

Such a cut is already rumored for a forthcoming Blu-ray release.

Both ComicBook.com and SuperHeroAuthority have a source who says Disney could make it happen ahead of the movie’s expected Blu-ray release this fall.

A three-hour version of the superhero epic might find its way to the big screen in an effort to make “Avengers” the all-time domestic box office champ.

All-time top domestic grosses as of June 11 (in millions):
$760.5 Avatar
$658.6 Titanic
$573.7 The Avengers
$533.3 The Dark Knight
$474.5 The Phantom Menace

I find this a smashing idea. It would also likely help promote the Blu-ray.
So having the Directors Cut in cinemas while the original theatrical version comes to DVD as a glorified commercial for the Blu-Ray sounds like a solid plan. Plus add steam to push The Avengers into the top domestic slot over Avatar(I film I find MEH).
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote