View Single Post
Old June 12 2012, 10:28 PM   #89
EliyahuQeoni
Commodore

Location: Redmond, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Universe
View EliyahuQeoni's Twitter Profile
Re: Revisiting the films...

Warped9,
First, than you for starting this thread. Given what you have said of the films in other threads, I wasn't sure what to expect, but I feel that you gave fair reviews to all of the films you covered. I think that all of your criticisms are valid, though in the majority of cases they don't seem to effect my enjoyment of these films as much as they do yours, which is fine.

One thing you mentioned in one of the reviews, I don't recall which, was Shatner's performances seemly less "Kirk-like" as the film series went on. This is something that I have to admit hinders my enjoyment somewhat. I think it is noticeable in some way in IV, V and VI, though it is--to my mind--a major problem in V. The character he is playing doesn't seem very much like the Kirk of TOS, or even TMP, TWOK and TSFS. It is a major issue for me in Generations, which you didn't cover. There are a few lines in the Enterprise-B sequence at the beginning of the film that seem "off" to me, but the whole sequence in the Nexus seems like he's playing a different character to me. Hard to put my finger on jyst what it is, but his mannerism's and delivery of lines seems more like Shatner than Kirk to me. I don't know how much of this is the fault of the script he was given, but it definitely bugs me when I watch.

Again, thanks for the reviews!
"Canon is only important to certain people because they have to cling to their knowledge of the minutiae. Open your mind! Be a Star Trek fan and open your mind and say, 'Where does Star Trek want to take me now'." - Leonard Nimoy
EliyahuQeoni is offline   Reply With Quote