View Single Post
Old June 11 2012, 08:27 PM   #331
Relayer1
Commodore

Re: PROMETHEUS - Grade and Discuss

DarthTom wrote: View Post
ManOnTheWave wrote: View Post
In myth, Prometheus makes man from clay, sides with the gods against the titans, and steals fire from the gods and gives it to man, only to be condemned for it. So, I suppose the "Prometheus" we see at the beginning of the film is part of one faction of engineers that creates and guides human life, against the will or law of their race, while the ones we see at the end of the film are part of another faction seeking to destroy their works. Their enemies. If the "good engineers" gave us fire, that is technology 2000 years ago, perhaps the "evil engineers" are out to destroy the perceived threat of us. Or maybe to them, all or them, Earth was just a petri dish that served its purpose, and now goes to decon.

Just a guess.

Oh, and A-. It was great.
That is a reasonable explanation. And I agree this is the best sci-fi flick IMO since Trek XI.

Regarding box office totals the film brought in $50 million in the US.

And, worldwide its brought in $141 million

It cost Fox and estimated $130 million to make the film and as pointed out 1/2 the cost The Avengers did.

However, Avengers is up to over $1 billion in box office receipts worldwide so at this point Prometheus has just barely paid for itself.
Prometheus will make a bit more at the cinema in other territories and with rental, Bluray and DVD sales a good bit more. I think we'll get 'Attack of the Xenomorphs' and 'Revenge of the Space Jockeys'.

I hope so - I really enjoyed the first part and really have to believe that its stupidity will be explained away.

And before you scoff - 90% of my problems with Trek XI were explained away to my satisfaction by posters on this site, so it could happen...