View Single Post
Old June 11 2012, 03:20 PM   #324
Christopher
Writer

Re: Typhon Pact: Plagues of Night by DRGIII Review Thread (Spoilers!)

RonG wrote: View Post
I guess that what's bothering me is the marketing aspect - branding novels about the various series under the Typhon Pact banner - and not all of them at that - for example, what diffrentiates Fallen Gods from Seize the Fire?
Well, although FG is about the aftermath of events in the TP novels, it doesn't sound from the description as if members of the Pact itself play any direct role in the novel. So it's not an actual Typhon Pact novel any more than, say, The Wrath of Khan is a Vanguard movie.

If TPTB had used the Typhon Pact branding (or another branding that could include VOY) to indicate the post-Destiny timeframe (as this is what seems to be the case), I wouldn't have any problem with it - what we're getting is (IMO) a marketing "ploy" without much input / regard to the actual ongoing narrative.
But that is not the case. There are plenty of novels in the post-Destiny timeframe that don't have the TP branding: A Singular Destiny, Losing the Peace, the entire Voyager series from Full Circle onward, Over a Torrent Sea, Synthesis, Fallen Gods, the two DTI novels, Indistinguishable from Magic, the upcoming TNG: Cold Equations trilogy, and the upcoming TNG e-novella The Stuff of Dreams. In fact, there are twice as many extant or upcoming post-Destiny tales without the TP label (16) as there are with it (8).

So it's bizarrely counterfactual to claim that the TP branding is being used for the post-DES timeframe in general. On the contrary, it's used only for books that are actually about the Typhon Pact. It really is as simple as that.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote