View Single Post
Old June 10 2012, 02:31 AM   #197
Warped9
Admiral

Re: PROMETHEUS - Grade and Discuss

sidious618 wrote: View Post
The more I think about this film, the more I like it. It's definitely odd and it doesn't follow the normal movie structure for a big sci-fi film. I look forward to picking this up on DVD and may even go back to see it in 3-D.
I don't care about 3D, but I agree with your sentiment. I give this an A and it will be in my video library.

The film can stand alone if necessary, but it's also setup for a sequel if desired.

I didn't have any problem following the narrative. And as cute as she may be I had no sympathy whatsoever for Vickers. Nice way for her to go too. Bitch.

I don't totally buy the idea that these beings spawned us. I think there is something else going on there. I do think the idea these xenomorphs are a biological weapon that got away from them is a viable one.

Elizabeth Shaw isn't a Ripley, but she has her own kind of courage and fortitude. I liked her much better than Vickers, too.

I really don't know what I expected other that it wouldn't be a retelling of Alien and Aliens and it wouldn't have the exact same sensibilities. And good on the film for that.

This film heavily suggests if not outright cements the idea that the Nostromo's computers had a directive to be on the watch for any kind of related evidence to what was discovered by the Prometheus expedition. The Space Jockey found in Alien obviously isn't the same one as seen here, but it's obviously a near identical one. That and the creature we see at the end is the real connective prequel tissue to Alien.

I know some have issues with unanswered questions, but I rather like some of that ambiguity. It lends it more mystery and sense of wonder. I don't need to have everything explained and spelled out, particularly if there's a possible sequel in the works.

I find myself wanting to see this again. Of course, I don't really need to add that this film is visually stunning on top of everything else. I've been waiting years for a space adventure to look like this.

Last edited by Warped9; June 10 2012 at 02:45 AM.
Warped9 is offline   Reply With Quote