View Single Post
Old June 9 2012, 11:15 PM   #46
St. William Of Levittown
Vice Admiral

Location: Rush Limborg is prepping for Christmas on The EIB Network
Re: Star Trek: Our Sacred Honor--A Tale Of Captain Ezri Dax

Enterprise1981 wrote: View Post
Wow, it's just not any easier in terms of the political wisdom of prosecuting and possibly convicting Ezri. It's one of those painful reminders that the UFP President is not a autocrat, unlike the Chancellor of the Klingon Empire or the Praetor of the Romulan Empire.
Funny you should bring that up--before the big rewrite, as I mentioned, I'd had Empress Donatra in the scene, instead of Spock. The idea was, it was a meeting of the Big Three of the Khitomer Alliance. Here, I basically rewrote her lines for Spock.

Anyway--in the "old" version, there's actually a bit more emphasis on the fact that the presisdent doesn't have the power that Donatra (or Martok) has. Where Bacco and Spock discuss "needs of the many" was where I'd had Donatra note, "It’s such a shame that politics must decide the good captain’s fate. In my State, Dax would be acquitted before any ‘hearing’—on my command.” To which Bacco replied, "It's the price of check and balances, Empress."

[rant] Thanks a lot, DRGIII. I had to lose some darn good material, thanks to your book taking place before ZSG!!! *sigh* [/rant]

I think, like I did with From Risa With Love, I'll post the deleted/alternate scenes after I'm finished posting the tale itself.
"The saying implies but does not name the effective agency of its supposed utopia.... 'Needs and abilities' are, of course, subjective. So the operative statement may be reduced to 'the State shall take, the State shall give'."
--David Mamet
St. William Of Levittown is offline   Reply With Quote