View Single Post
Old June 9 2012, 10:56 AM   #65
Warped9
Admiral

Re: Revisiting the films...

Lord Garth wrote: View Post
... text book methodical, mechanical writing.... And they ran with it.
You're right. It did feel mechanical.

My essential point was about a feeling TOS had. A sense of going outwards rather than hang in' around the neighbourhood. A sense early TNG seemed to have even as it felt somewhat different than TOS.

These last three films have much of the warmth of the familiar characters primarily because of the cast's long familiarity with them, but most everything else around them is lacking. For me anyway. There is a lack of seeing something new. The dynamic of TWOK helps overcome some of my ambivalence, but then it becomes a slide because it all becomes evermore about seeing the familiar and overused. The basic story of each film is viable, but the energy and interest level drops off as the trilogy unfolds.

It really doesn't matter what rating one gives these films, which are favourites and which not, because it boils down to all of it has been done before and done better in TOS.

The ideas in TMP aren't bad, but the film generally lacks the dynamic energy and drama of similar stories told before. They overlooked part of what made those stories work.

The ideas in TWOK aren't bad (although TOS never did a story revolving around revenge), but the naval brinksmanship story was done better in TOS ("Balance Of Terror"). TSFS is really about what these friends will do for each yet we've already seen it played out numerous times in TOS. "The Empath" might be the most complete example of such as a story.

Time travel in itself has been used before, but TVH just isn't as well done as when time travel was done before in "Tomorrow Is Yesterday" and "The City On The Edge Of Forever."

It's all very much been-there-done-that as well as a lot of it not feeling as creative as what came before.

Maurice wrote: View Post
Warped9 wrote: View Post
Star Trek IV – The Voyage Home (1986) ***...And it is a nice (though coincidental) touch that the U.S. naval carrier Enterprise makes something of a cameo appearance...
Too bad it's the U.S.S. Ranger.
Yeah, but it's the bought that counts.