View Single Post
Old June 9 2012, 01:38 AM   #140
Pauln6
Rear Admiral

Re: PROMETHEUS - Grade and Discuss

Admiral2 wrote: View Post
Pauln6 wrote: View Post
Admiral2 wrote: View Post
For those of you who thought the scientists were stupid: My Brother The DOCTOR once asked my mother for help cooking a turkey and she started her instruction by telling him to wash it before he prepared it, which he did...with dishwashing liquid. The moral: smart people can do really stupid things. That makes them human, not a problem with the narrative.
My problem was with them having no concept of any scientific method (as well as being stupid). If they had taken even the most basic precautions but the situation got out of hand due to one or two stupid things (or David's desire to get the ball rolling) the general stupidity level would have come down a few notches.

They could have lifted really basic safety pointers from Stargate SG1 and seriously improved the plot. In fact low tech MALPS would have been better than the mildly irritating floaty things that inexplicably failed to help the guy that owned them find his way to an exit.

STUPID.
The first part of the scientific method is to Test.
Yes - test the air throughout the entire complex by sampling to make sure there are no atmospheric black spots, harmful chemicals, or pathogens. You might test the air on animal subjects in laboratory conditions long before you would expose a human volunteer. I am assuming that they had equipment that checked for airborn pathogens and found none so I'll give a pass there - but assuming that there would be no pathogens in any other chamber would be grossly negligent. By the time you'd detected them, you would already be exposed.

I can get behind the smart ass archaeologist doing it. It's that everybody else, including the biologist and MD also did it that was so stupid. Did they all think that alien bacteria would always kill instantly so there obviously wasn't any?

My issue with the geologist and biologist was that they took no samples and contributed nothing to the trip. How did they get lost? It was his own drones that mapped the complex. Everybody was on the same comms system and the ship monitored their locations. They should have got the message about the storm too but asked for no assistance? If they'd been delayed taking samples on the way out I might have forgiven them. I can only assume they must have switched comms off so they could have a shag. It could have been a glitch in the system I suppose but if so it was poorly represented in the narrative.

Other Worlds Role Playing Game
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produc...ducts_id=97631

Last edited by Pauln6; June 9 2012 at 01:49 AM.
Pauln6 is offline   Reply With Quote