View Single Post
Old June 8 2012, 09:43 PM   #46
Mike Winters
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Star Trek Vanguard: In Tempest's wake by Dayton Ward

Christopher wrote: View Post

Mike Winters wrote: View Post
Just to throw in my two cents into this. I prefer the dead tree format myself, but I have no objection to E-Book (my wife has a Nook Color so I could use that). My major gripe right now is the pricing model. Currently a physical MMPB book sells for $7.99 for anywhere from 300 to 400+ pages. However, the E-Book cost is $5.99 for a novella that is typically only a third to half that size. I have a hard time mentally jumping that "hurdle".
But compare it to the price of a hardcover (typically 25-28 dollars for about the same page count) or a comic book (around 4 dollars for under 2 dozen pages of story) or a DVD of a feature film (maybe 15-20 dollars for an amount of story equivalent to a short novel). If anything, the price of MMPBs is an exceptional bargain.

And while you're right about the price for The Struggle Within, didn't I read that In Tempest's Wake will be $3.99? I imagine TSW was priced more steeply because it was a test case and they weren't sure whether it would sell in enough quantity to let them make a profit at a lower price point. Since the experiment worked and they're publishing more, maybe that means they feel a lower price can be profitable. New things often go down in price once they become established and popular.
I sincerely hope that they do cut the price of the TSW novella down to that price point as with TW. That price is more palatable. I did notice on B&N that Corps of Engineers e-books are listed at 5.99-6.99 in a bunch of cases.

Mike
Mike Winters is offline   Reply With Quote