View Single Post
Old June 7 2012, 11:08 PM   #296
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

Re: Typhon Pact: Plagues of Night by DRGIII Review Thread (Spoilers!)

I just finished the book and have to say that it's one of the best Trek Lit books I've read since Destiny. And is up there in quality with the best of the DS-R books that I've read. DRGIII did a superb job of not only following up on and connecting the four previously published 'core' Typhon Pact books, but finally giving us what Destiny and two of those books - Rough Beasts of Empire and Zero Sum Game - didn't: a full-blown DS9-centric story set in the Trek Lit 'present'.

I touched on this a bit in my earlier comments, but I really liked getting to see a glimpse into Ro's psyche, and really liked her interactions with Quark and DS9's new security chief, Jefferson Blackmer, who just may be the best new Trek character to be introduced since Jasminder Choudhury.

I also really enjoyed the way DRGIII fleshed out and dealt with the rest of the station's new senior staff by using characters who were introduced in previous DS9-R novels but gave them new roles.

He also did a great job of intertwining the Typhon Pact's 'cold war' with the DS9 elements of the story and in utilizing both the crews of the Enterprise and Robinson and characters such as Delay, Tomalok, President Bacco, Kasidy, Kira, and Rebecca Sisko.

The book's ending was also phenomenal and offers the perfect setup for Raise the Dawn, which I can't wait to read when it comes out at the end of the month.

Last edited by DigificWriter; June 8 2012 at 03:44 AM. Reason: My phone screwed stuff up.
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote