View Single Post
Old June 7 2012, 10:48 PM   #34
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Re: 60s Batman show rights issues resolved!

Dream wrote: View Post
Dislike campy Batman, but that doesn't mean I have any issue with its fans.

But I don't understand why this show has a fanbase, while Batman and Robin which also went the campy direction, is hated by everyone? Aren't they the same thing?
Honestly, a lot of it's nostalgia for us older folks who grew up on the sixties show. Also, the old show was always meant to be campy, whereas Batman & Robin seemed to violate the tone and spirit of the early Burton films. So you had the incongruous spectacle of a dark, moody take on Batman going badly off the rails . . ..

Also, and this could be nostalgia speaking, but the old series was fun and clever camp (or so I recall), while B&R was just a noisy, overblown, self-indulgent mess that was more exhausting than entertaining.

There's good camp, like Barbarella or the 80's version of Flash Gordon, and there's dumb camp like Batman & Robin, which felt more like a two-hour toy commercial than a movie.

That being said, I haven't actually watched the old show since I was a kid. It's entirely possible it hasn't aged well.

(Says the guy who stayed up past midnight watching old Dark Shadows videos last night!)