View Single Post
Old June 7 2012, 04:18 PM   #291
Travis Chesser
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Re: Typhon Pact: Plagues of Night by DRGIII Review Thread (Spoilers!)

Toefur wrote: View Post
Just finished this book this morning.

It's obviously a huge improvement over the painful Rough Beasts of Empire; but I found the quality of writing in this to be... not great. I've sung many praises for DRG in the past, but sometimes reading this I felt like I was reading a young adult fiction novel. This was mostly during the many many re-cap scenes, I guess, where things to do with the overall Typhon Pact story were being explained. Pages and pages of poorly written exposition.

I found the end result of the novel to be very lacking in the impact that many here seem to have felt. It seems to be a place that Trek often goes for dramatic effect when they can't think of anything better.
It seems that some did not like the first half of exposition, and some did. I loved the first half, and didn't find it poorly written at all. I thnk what DRG was trying to do was take the various different threads of previous Typhon Pact books and make the whole thing more cohesive. Especially regarding Kamemor. I loved knowing about her view and opinion of the slipstream theft, Andor, etc. I didn't take it as a "long recap" at all, but really fleshing things out.
Travis Chesser is offline   Reply With Quote