View Single Post
Old June 7 2012, 01:24 AM   #39
St. William Of Levittown
Vice Admiral

Location: Rush Limborg is prepping for Christmas on The EIB Network
Re: Star Trek: Our Sacred Honor--A Tale Of Captain Ezri Dax

Ah...I won't say who or what I'm invoking, there--but I will say that the cable news channels weren't quite what I was going for--least of all CNN or Headline. Remember, the third "host" seems to be more religiously inclined, asking listeners to pray for Ezri Dax, etc. Ted Turner's channels are many things--but I hardly think they are Host Three.

There are specific individuals that I'd based Hosts One and Three on (I'd rather not say who--please don't ask, let alone guess). Two is simply an exaggerated conglameration of the opposite POV of One.

But--and this is important--the point isn't particularly any "left vs. right", per se. I am just showing the extremes of anti-patriotism (which angers our heroine), and loud, irreverent flag-waving (which amuses her)--and contrasting both with legit, heartfelt devotion to those who serve--true patriotism.

Interesting note: I'd actually debated with myself on whether or not I should remove that sequence--I was concerned it might distract from the story.

I ultimately decided to keep it, to "show" that--like today--there are vehement political discussions and debates in the 24th Century. I believe that's a very good thing--honesty in political debate is something I love. However...sometimes, it can get a little...interesting.

Anyway, this tale, more than anything else, is a look at how a major event like this effects so many in society--from the darkest alleys of the netherworld of espionage (Section 31), to the highest halls of government (Bacco)--to Ezri herself--to the guards she converses with in the beginning of the scene--to some other characters I haven't brought in yet--and of course...to these commentators.

BTW...any thoughts on the beinning of the chapter?
"The saying implies but does not name the effective agency of its supposed utopia.... 'Needs and abilities' are, of course, subjective. So the operative statement may be reduced to 'the State shall take, the State shall give'."
--David Mamet

Last edited by St. William Of Levittown; June 7 2012 at 02:39 AM.
St. William Of Levittown is offline   Reply With Quote