View Single Post
Old June 6 2012, 11:52 PM   #128
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Re: David Brin's latest novel, and a TED talk

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post

I'm not afraid of technology or the future, dude. I welcome them. I wish the Singularity was right around the corner...
I don't care one way or the other - I just think that grown-ups should stand up for reality.

The folks in all of this who are self-evidently afraid are the cybernetic totalists who embrace the delusion that they're about to cheat death in some way. In a matter of decades Kurzweil will be extinguished, as his father was - as all of us eventually are. He can't accept the fact of the latter, so why expect him to face the prospect of the former honestly?
Reality by definition means what has happened or is happening now(at least the accepted version of it in the macro world)...then you shouldn't be in the sci-fi business at all.

I expect to live a normal lifespan. I don't expect to reach transhumanist or posthumanist levels. I don't want to bring anyone back. If I did make it to the Singularity I wouldn't expect to know the difference or care much about the past anyway. Kurzweil, probably the most visible popularizer of the meme, is just one part of a much greater whole, which has been going on long before he came on the scene, and will certainly continue after his death.

RAMA