View Single Post
Old June 6 2012, 10:46 PM   #123
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Re: What are your top 5 technologies of the next 15 years?

newtype_alpha wrote: View Post
RAMA wrote: View Post
newtype_alpha wrote: View Post
The question of whether or not they CAN is a moot point. It's really a question of whether or not they WILL. There are a lot of political, social and economic reasons to believe that they probably will not.
Well the huge emerging markets suggest otherwise...Coca Cola alone (as in my example) is willing to spread the Slingshot technology to over 100 countries after testing.
This is Coca Cola we're talking about; I'll believe it when I see it.

Additionally...its not just big business-large corporations and technophilanthropists doing the funding now, but projects like THIS, which are growing much more rapidly lately
Interesting as that is (in addition to being a complete non-sequitor) you are continuing to avoid the relevant point: it's not the TECHNOLOGY that is the problem. You have this rosey idea that whenever technology becomes available, someone somewhere will sieze it and use it to make the world a better place. This IS the case for many technologies, but when that technology becomes disruptive, it invariably meets with resistance from those who have an interest in keeping things the way they are. And that's only accounting for ARTIFICIAL barriers to development; plenty of new technologies fall by the wayside for no reason at all, just a series of unhappy accidents that doom them to slow death.

In the end, though, this is all just academic. None of the technologies you've described are anywhere near widespread implementation, even if the social/political conditions for their development are perfect, and in some parts of the world they are anything but.

Sorry, how is that a non-sequitur...I have given you 3 separate ways such things can be funded and developed, 2 of them are relatively new and innovative.

It's not just the existence of the technology I'm talking about, it is the new way it is proliferating...which I have gone through pains to bring up.

The conditions in Africa in many cases are not ideal, yet the market penetration of smartphones for example has found a way to develop...and make money for the companies as well as improve GDP, and bring people out of poverty. I see no reason to expect the needed water purification system to not succeed in this way (word of mouth is good on it's efficacy so far). Smaller scale systems have already been in place, but this will be a big step forward.

Dean Kamen and Coca Cola

http://noobsensei.blogspot.com/2012/...slingshot.html

http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/28/d...e-led-light-b/