View Single Post
Old June 6 2012, 10:16 PM   #1327
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Re: TheGodBen Revisits Deep Space Nine

apenpaap wrote: View Post
Was the music the only thing that kept Trials from a five-star rating?
I'd say it would probably have been 4.5 stars either way. The episode is a lot of fun and a lot of work went into it, but at the end of the day it's still a lovingly-made fluff-piece.

Sykonee wrote: View Post
TheGodBen wrote: View Post
Trials and Tribble-ations (****)

Sykonee's Counter: 33
Yeah, that sure escalated quickly.

Let He Who Is Without Sin... (0)

I watched this episode on Sunday night and I've had a headache for the last few days. I believe there may be a connection between those two facts.

Do you suppose an officer in the US navy that's serving on an aircraft carrier would be allowed to take one of the planes to go on holiday? I don't imagine they're allowed to do that. Why are Worf and Jadzia allowed to take a runabout to Risa when it's going to spend most of its time unmanned in orbit of the planet? Do you suppose Ensign Ricky would be allowed to take a runabout when he goes on holiday, or is this is privilege reserved for senior officers? I know that this is actually a problem with a number of episodes throughout Star Trek, but I'm calling it out here because it allows me to avoid thinking about this episode.

I hate everyone in this episode, which is weird as I normally like most of the characters in this show. But in this particular episode everyone is insufferable, especially Worf. He is just an absolute wanker. I can understand the pain he suffers from being on Risa, the whole audience shares that pain, but the stick up his arse must have grown thorns for this episode, it's the only way to explain the way his character acted throughout. They try to explain it all by revealing a deep, dark secret from his past, but it's a hollow retcon thrown in to try and salvage a character they spent the last 40 minutes assassinating.

Then there's the Essentialists. There's a core of an interesting idea with these guys, but they're so stupid that watching them is like watching someone slowly drool into a cup. They decide to protest against people relaxing and having fun on a planet specifically designed for people to relax and have fun. That's like going to a beach and complaining that there's sand there. If there's sand in an office-building and it gets into people's shoes, that's something to be legitimately annoyed at, but leaving the office and going to the beach to complain about the sand in the office? That makes you a loon.

May I suggest that Starfleet implement General Order 8?