Thread: Batman...
View Single Post
Old June 6 2012, 03:14 AM   #27
sonak
Vice Admiral

Re: Batman...

Warped9 wrote: View Post
Batman Returns (1992) **

Catwoman, the Penguin and a scheming financier wreak choas on Gotham City.

Some people around here arenít going to like me. This was a bad and painful movie to watch. I remember it being better, but itís just bad. Michelle Pfieffer notwithstanding.

The 1989 Batman had a very Burton-esque flavour to it, but Batman Returns is not only very theatrical yet also pure umistakably Tim Burton. Everything is exaggerated and over exaggerated. There is no subtlety whatsoever. Watching this is like watching a live-action cartoon, and in this context I donít mean that in a good way.

This version of Batman has no apparent aversion to killing if it comes down to it. The origin story for Catwoman is just plain stupid. The Penguin is simply grotesque. Max Shreck is a psycho. I could find no interest whatsoever for these characters. It's not much better than a somewhat more serious version of the '60's TV series.

I couldnít buy one thing in this film. It was one bit of nonsense and ridiculousness after another.

The one good thing I liked was that Batmanís costume looked better here than previously, particularly the cowl.

On second thought the one other good thing is that itís somewhat better than the two films which follow it.

What a huge disappointment.

It's a truly bizarre movie, but to me that's not a bad thing. I like it better than the original now. It feels, as someone once described it "like a comic book transplanted to the big screen."

Devito's performance is really underrated. And it's a VERY dark portrayal of Batman, as disturbed and alone.

Big downsides-Batman's practically just a guest star in this one, not getting a lot of time. The main plot makes very little sense(what kind of ludicrous plot is that of Shreck's?), oh and HOW DUMB are the citizens of Gotham? Penguin for mayor? Really?
sonak is offline   Reply With Quote