View Single Post
Old June 5 2012, 04:39 PM   #169
Kegg
Rear Admiral

Re: What SF/F Book Are you Reading? .. Redux

Finished Brightness Reef. Very good, dense world-building, with the eclectic points of view (although it wasn't until Alvin directly referenced it did I realize his name was a reference to two Arthur C. Clarke novels, which is funny as those were two of my favourites). As a space opera, the Uplift series so far has kind of implied epic scope somewhere in the background as it needles on very specific areas - like Uplift War hinting at some big galactic conflict as it hunkers down on Garth and the Mulun Mountains, or Startide Rising's focus on Kithrup with all that interesting space travel as mostly backstory. (Not to mention Sundiver being a space opera that never leaves the solar system.)

naverhtrad wrote: View Post
Just started Cetaganda by Lois McMaster Bujold. And I mean 'just started'. Oh well - a book with a larger role for that-idiot-Ivan is all good in my book!
Cetaganda is easily one of the most entertaining Vorkosigan books; the stuff about Cetagandan society alone is worth it. I'm not entirely sure how I'd rate them, but that Vor Game and Mirror Dance would be somewhere near the top.

Oh yes, and I am very much looking forward to the release of Captain Vorpatril's Alliance.
Oh, she's finally doing that Ivan Vorpatril book? Sweet.

Funny too, because just last week I finished the omnibus of her fantasy Chalion novels. They were alright by and large, with the workings of her fantasy theology being one of the stronger points.