View Single Post
Old June 4 2012, 10:52 PM   #133
bullethead
Fleet Captain

Re: Am I the only one who loves SGU?

DWF wrote: View Post
bullethead wrote: View Post
newtype_alpha wrote: View Post
It might have been different if the series had spent more time portraying Rush as something other than self-important dooshbag (or if Young was stranding/executing people at random).
That was just really heavy handed authorial bias to generate artificial conflict. If you look at the show objectively, Rush is the single most competent and effective member of the Destiny crew. Hell, the only times things go wrong for him is when somebody does something stupid (Franklin using the chair five seconds after they decided to keep researching it, Amanda Perry not clearing the memory on that console she used), authorial fiat (the shuttle crashing in Awakening for no fucking reason), and Colonel Young is involved (getting caught framing Young due to the hidden Kinos, telling Young that he is a shitty commander to his face, getting stuck with Young on that Ursini ship).
It was Rush who gave up opn getting the lime for the oxygen regneraters
He wasn't physically fit enough to trek through the desert and they wouldn't have found the lime without the helpful plot bugs, anyway. Based on the information they had, he made a rational choice.

and I didn't see Rush voluntineering to help get the ice to replacce their water supply.
One, you don't send the best scientist to do everything, and two, he wasn't even considered an option for that job IIRC.

And Rush refused to sit in the chair, which is why Franklin did it.
Pretty sure that Franklin was just tired of being on the ship and sat on the damn thing before they had a chance to do more research the chair and build that buffer thing that Brody and Rush installed on it.

Rush also kept the discovery of the bridge to himself
What do you expect when the guy who tried to murder him and was stupid enough to allow the Lucian Alliance to get as far as they did when he controlled life support and oxygen.

and I can't recall anytime when Rush was actively trying to get the others back to earth.
He didn't, but let's face it, the show made it abundantly clear that the Destiny crew was screwed on that front thanks to the age of the ship.

Even when he gave up his water in Air he then attacked Greer for water ration when he refused to give it to Rush,
They hated each other and were under stress. Totally understandable, although not a great display on the parts of either man.

then he ordered Greer to shoot Brody to keep him from leaving the planet.
That was Franklin (although I totally forgot that for a while and that it was Volker who got shot for a bit) and that was totally justified, since those dumbasses would've left everyone else stranded.