View Single Post
Old June 3 2012, 11:16 PM   #195
Tom Hendricks
Commodore

View Tom Hendricks's Twitter Profile
Re: MLB Discussion - 2012 Season

I was only arguing semantics. A blown vs a missed call, I totally agree that it was a hit. My contention is that a blown call is something that is painfully obvious to everyone and a missed call is something that you need super slow motion to really tell and even then it's tough.

My last point was that a team just flying in for a series is more run down and more likely to have something like a no-hitter. No imperial data for that, just a maybe factor.

Timby wrote: View Post
Tom Hendricks wrote: View Post
I wouldn't call that a blown call more of a missed call. A blown call intimates that it was painfully obvious to everyone what happen. Watched in normal speed you don't see the chalk fly, only in the super slow-mo do you.
It's a pretty definitively blown call:

It doesn't matter in the big scheme of things, because fuck the Cardinals always and forever and Johan Santana owns bones, but let's call a spade a spade -- Adrian Johnson blew it.

Most no-hitters and perfect games are usually helped with a few friendly calls, some great catches and an opposing team that just flew in for the series.
While I disagree with your last point (I don't quite get what you're saying -- that a no-hitter or a perfect game happens because the other team is phoning it in?), your first point is generally correct. Ever since the Jim Joyce incident, any call that the umpire thinks is close or doesn't know on an in-progress no-hitter from about the fifth on is going to go in favor of the pitcher. That's just how it's going to be until replay gets instituted on boundary and base calls.

Of course I'm a creationist. I believe man created god.
Tom Hendricks is offline   Reply With Quote