Thread: Batman...
View Single Post
Old June 2 2012, 08:46 PM   #9
Christopher
Writer

Re: Batman...

Warped9 wrote: View Post
Batman: Mask Of The Phantasm (1993) *****

...In some ways it's darker than the 1989 live-action film and in many ways it's much much respectful of the original source materiel.
In just about every way, I'd say.

I'd also argue it's a better story overall than the '89 film.
A very easy bar to hurdle. Whatever strengths the '89 film had, story was not one of them.

It also reminds me of one of the comics' stories, "Night Of The Reaper" or something like that.
It's actually kind of a loose adaptation of Mike Barr's Batman: Year Two, which introduced the villain known as the Reaper.

There's no flashback to the death of Bruce's parents.
Which always struck me as surprising. Batman: The Animated Series was unable to show the murder of the Waynes due to FOX Kids's strict censorship on violence, so all they could do was allude to it through the occasional dream, hallucination, or news clipping. So I would've expected that the greater freedom they had in Mask of the Phantasm would've allowed them to dramatize it at last, but they didn't take the opportunity. (Then again, the film's co-writer/producer Alan Burnett had already penned the first animated adaptation of Batman's origin story eight years earlier in the Super Powers Team: Galactic Guardians episode "The Fear," which remains one of the only times the scene has ever been portrayed in animation.)

There's no flashback to the origins of the Joker.
That was eventually covered in the New Batman Adventures episode "Beware the Creeper" some four years later.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote