View Single Post
Old June 2 2012, 04:51 AM   #4
USS Fardell
Captain

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to USS Fardell Send a message via Yahoo to USS Fardell
Re: Voyager: An Alternate Journey 02: Voyager Tales

Part 4
After a long time looking at the Station, Katelyn, Daniel and Kathleen arrived back at Voyager.

“It has been a long day,” Daniel said.

“That doesn’t let you off trying a raktajino,” Katelyn said cheekily.

“Thanks for reminding me.”

Kathleen chuckled.

“Commander Chakotay of Voyager to see you, Ma’am,” the assistant said.

“Send him in,” the second-in-command said.

“Good Evening,” Chakotay said.

“I was just about to end my shift, Commander, what can I do for you?”

“I was wondering if I could find out the specifications for the League’s warp drives.”

“Oh? What for?”

“Too see if their top speed is any higher than that of Voyager.”

“Oh, I see, Your Captain wants us to ferry Voyager across League territory and around the Kalanari in less time than it would take if you had to do it on your own power.”

“That thought is on her mind, yes.”

“What do you offer us in return?”

“On this PADD is the entire literary output of a region of Earth for a century,” Chakotay said as he handed the Commander a PADD.

“That is a lot.”

“It covers everything from the Island of Britain in the Elizabethan and Early Stuart Eras,” Chakotay said.

“Important to your homeworld’s cultural development?”

“Yes, look up Shakespeare.”

The Commander looked up Shakespeare. “A playwright?”

“A rather witty one, all his surviving plays have spread beyond the Federation. The Klingons even claim him as their own.”

“Really?”

“Yes.”

The commander then came upon some quotes from the plays. “To be, or not to be, that is the question, Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune... sounds pretentious.”

“Well, in the context of the play it isn’t so.”

The commander came to another quote. “I am a Jew. Hath not a Jew eyes? Hath not a Jew hands, organs, dimensions, senses, affections, passions; fed with the same food, hurt with the same weapons, subject to the same diseases, heal'd by the same means, warm'd and cool'd by the same winter and summer, as a Christian is? If you prick us, do we not bleed? Ifyou tickle us, do we not laugh? If you poison us, do we not die? And if you wrong us, do we not avenge? If we are like you in the rest, we will resemble you in that. Interesting, I take it that Jews were persecuted during the period in question?”

“Very much so. They had been for over a thousand years, and were for hundreds of years afterwards. There was even an attempted genocide.”

“Many of the League’s world’s have similar histories. I’ll read this The Merchant of Venice.”

“Good,” Chakotay said.

The commander came to a quote from another play. “How beauteous mankind is! O brave new world / That has such people in't! What does this signify?”

“Miranda was marooned on an island with her father since early childhood, and thus had limited experiences, and still possessed a child-like wonder.”

“I guess I’ll read The Tempest too.”

Chakotay smiled. “There are a great many more plays,” he said.

“I see,” the commander said.

“What’s your answer?”

“There are a limited number of large high speed vessels, they may be nowhere near here.”

“The Captain will be here in the morning.”

“When I get back on duty I will check your specifications and the location of the relevant vessels. In the meantime I’ll read some of these plays.”

Chakotay entered the Ready Room. “How did it go?” Janeway asked.

“She said she will investigate the possibility and find where the relevant vessels are tomorrow.”

“That’s a start.”

“That it is.”

“Personal log: supplemental; today was an interesting day. Daniel, Kate and I explored the space station and found that the League is very diverse. We’ll be going there again tomorrow to find out more about this polity that we’re entering.

17 July 2374
Personal Log; Stardate 51546.5. This is the second day of Voyager’s stay at the League space station. Daniel, Kathleen and I are going to explore it further once our duty shifts are over.”
Ensign Katelyn Hawkins finished the recording and looked at the time. 0830. Still half an hour before she started her duty shift. But first she was meeting Daniel and Kathleen in the mess hall for breakfast. She grabbed her PADD and then dashed out of her quarters.

The Mess Hall was busy when Katelyn arrived. Just under half of the crew were on the Alpha Shift. Therefore there was a usually a rush on the Mess Hall from 0800 until 0900. She quickly found Daniel and Kathleen in the line. “Hi,” she said.

“Good morning,” Daniel said.

“Hi,” Kathleen said.

“So, we’re going to continue from where we left off?” Katelyn asked.

“Certainly,” Daniel said.

Five minutes later they sat down and started planning their day.

Captain Janeway entered the Station’s operations centre on her way to the Commander’s office.
“Captain Janeway?” someone asked.

“You’re looking for me?” she asked.

“Yes, some people have been asking to meet with you. They say it’s important. They’re waiting in the meeting room for you.”

“Tell them to wait! I’m meeting the commander,” Janeway said.

“Yes, Captain. They will wait until you’ve finished talking to the commander. But then they want to meet you.”

“Noted,” Janeway said as she walked towards the Commander’s office.
USS Fardell is offline   Reply With Quote