View Single Post
Old June 2 2012, 12:56 AM   #42
Sagart
Fleet Captain

Re: PROMETHEUS - Grade and Discuss

Perhaps the universe, in its own strange way, demands balance, so, after the epic entertainment of The Avengers, we get the crushing disappointment of Prometheus. Completely devoid of suspense, excitement, humour or even a simple humanity to make us care about the characters and what happens to them, this prequel to Alien does not deserve to share in that classic movie's legacy. The great thing about the original and Jim Cameron's sequel was that they were simple, stripped down, lean machines of movies. This one has pretensions to being a new 2001: A Space Odyssey, only with more goo and gore. It fails as a horror movie and as a take on humankind's search for meaning out there in the universe. It might work as a sci-fi movie with the clarity and meaning a sequel might give it but I can't think of why I'd want to watch more of these characters and why I would care when ultimately I know it all ends with John Hurt having the worst ever case of indigestion. Game over, man. Game over. At least, I hope so.