View Single Post
Old May 30 2012, 04:04 AM   #22
Supreme Dittodrone
Vice Admiral

Re: Star Trek: Our Sacred Honor--A Tale Of Captain Ezri Dax

All right. To answer a probably inevitable question--the truth is...I simply couldn't resist....

Star Trek: Aventine
Our Sacred Honor
Chapter 5

Sorak materialized onto the shuttle. He walked over to the helm, setting course for Division Seven’s base of operations, and then setting the console on automatic. He let out a sigh, and shook his head.

L’Haan was most irritating to him—frankly, all “truly logical” Vulcans were, to an extent—their over-confidence in their “disciplines”, which led them too often to assume that they had the answer even when they clearly did not…and to refuse any “devil’s advocate”, as the humans say. Sorak preferred the balance of the Way of the v’tosh ka’tur—which, titles notwithstanding, was far more…logical, as far as he was concerned. (Not that he ever revealed his status to anyone but his closest friends, of course—and frankly, the “balance” he had achieved allowed him to behave as a “normal” Vulcan….)

Still…his revelation of Dr. Bashir’s past relationship with Dax had unnerved L’Haan, he could tell—and that had shattered her stubbornness…for this time.

“Will she do it?”

Sorak turned to face the other man, who sat in a dark corner, his face obscured from near-total lack of light. For the man’s sake, Sorak would not allow his mind to “remember” his name. It was part of his own brand of “Vulcan discipline”, to keep from entering the mindset which might slip and reveal the man’s identity to others he would encounter.

“At the very least,” Sorak answered, “She will take less for granted, in regards to her fool’s errand with Douglass and the doctor.”

“Well that’s a start, anyway.”

“Indeed. And I believe L’Haan will be more willing to cooperate with our own investigations.”

“That’s good to know. I take it they approved of our looking over the wreckage, and so on?”

“They did—fully. We’ll have no interference from them.”

The man nodded. “Very good.”

“Of course. But…”

“Well, Sorak?”

“I was wondering…if the Council should find Dax guilty…”

“Well, our mission right now is to make sure that doesn’t happen.”

“Of course not. But, in the unlikely event that we fail…what then?”

The man sighed, and thought for a moment. Finally, he replied, “If that should happen…I don’t think it’ll help the captain’s regard for the system, at the very least.”

Sorak snorted. “Certainly not.”

The man spread out his hands. “Well, if all else fails…we can always recruit her.”

Sorak’s eyebrow shot up. “Indeed.”

"Forget it, Jake...it's Chinatown."
Supreme Dittodrone is offline   Reply With Quote