View Single Post
Old May 29 2012, 02:36 AM   #105
bullethead
Fleet Captain

Re: Am I the only one who loves SGU?

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
kirk55555 wrote: View Post
I really disliked SGU. It just didn't feel like a SG series. I only watched about 4 episodes, and everytime I just didn't like it, except for one episode. The soldiers were going against the civilians, trying to take over the ship. The episode wanted you to like the civilians. Personally, I sided with the soldiers, and hoped the civilians got defeated. I'm not even sure why they were against each other (I hadn't seen the episode preceding it) but I just felt that the soldiers were right, and the civilians were wrong. But, besides that episode, every other time I tried to watch thew series, I just got bored.
That went the other way around, the civilians wanted to take control from the military. For the stupidest of reasons too. The civilians felt they should have been in charge since in civilized countries the military anwers to civilians. Conveniently ignoring that they were hired by the military and signed a contract saying they accepted military authority.
I thought it was because the civilians (correctly IMO) thought they should be in charge since they were the ones actually trying to understand, maintain, and take control of the ship they were stuck on, while the military dudes pretty much did nothing except when they stumbled upon a planet. Then the military executed a stupid plan to get them home that nearly blew up the goddamn ship, Col. Young had his bunch of cronies do everything on the ship, and Young left Rush on planet under suspicious circumstances, so it's not surprising that they mutinied.

Of course, the writers ignored the fact that they had people on both the military and civilian side unite in their distrust of their leaders, so the whole black and white, civilian vs military thing didn't really make sense. Especially when Lt. James probably had grounds for relieving Col. Young of command for cutting her completely out of the chain of command.