View Single Post
Old May 29 2012, 02:01 AM   #17
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

Re: Star Trek: Our Sacred Honor--A Tale Of Captain Ezri Dax

You capture Bacco's voice and character in a very interesting way. Using novel-only characters is sometimes tricky, I think, because you have less nuances to work with in the source material, but you write Bacco well; aspects of how she's presented seem true to how DeCandido and Mack portray her, and you even seem to be reconciling some of the subtle distinctions in how the two authors handle her - the DeCandido Bacco is more "grandmotherly" and idealistic, while the Mack Bacco is a bit more pragmatically "political" and resigned to bitterness (though they always struck me as the same essential characterization, only with different emphasis of certain personal traits). I really like how you seem to be melding the two sides of her while also drawing attention to the distinction - at least, that's what I got from her passionate, almost angry defence of Dax "behind the scenes" while acknowledging the political realities, and her pleasant demeanour that soon reveals a rather steely commitment. You can easily see the somewhat flinty-eyed pragmatist in the "grandmother" and the personable and idealistic qualities in the politician. It's an interesting take on the character, and it's great to see that you can mine the novels and incorporate their contents in the same way you do the TV shows - having your own take on those characters while still respecting the source material.