View Single Post
Old May 28 2012, 08:29 AM   #138
RTOlson
Rear Admiral

View RTOlson's Twitter Profile
Re: Typhon Pact: Plagues of Night by DRGIII Review Thread (Spoilers!)

So, getting back to discussing the current book…

Regarding spoilers, the last chapter of this book is pretty stunning and climatic so I think spoiler code is appropriate. It's not so much a cliffhanger as an utter game changer.

I read the book cover to cover in one sitting. It was pretty exciting overall, although it had to recap a lot of previous activity. Considering that people don't buy all the books (especially the eBook that I didn't know existed), I thought the exposition was OK and it better helped shape the timeline of the previous Typhon Pact books. It also did a good job of presenting events detailed in the previous books from the perspective of other participants (such as the raid on Utopia Planitia).

The story incorporated many of the elements of previous DS9 stories that I liked, even touching on the previous exploration of the Gamma Quadrant and the fallout from the "Worlds of Deep Space Nine" series. I thought it involved nearly all contemporary Trek crews pretty well, although neither Voyager nor the Aventine crews make appearances.

Oh, and since it seems to be a huge topic of discussion, I think the novel handled the repercussions from Sisko's decision to leave his family reasonably well (which contributes to the ending). It's not perfect, but the whole arc of the Prophets not talking to Sisko still seems a little odd to me.

The book provides some tantalizing glimmers of what happened on Deep Space Nine before the Borg invasion, but no conclusive answers. Taran'atar, the Even Odds, Iliana Ghemor and the Ascendants get passing mentions, as well as an additional reference to the disaster befalling one of Bajor's moons. I'd like future stories to address these elements and I hope writers will get to tackle them someday.

Overall, I think this book incorporated much of the intrigue of the previous Typhon Pact novels, but doesn't get bogged down in it. Instead, it adds an epic scope of developments covering three quarters of the galaxy. I definitely would like to read more.

Last edited by RTOlson; May 28 2012 at 08:34 AM. Reason: Adding more comment.
RTOlson is offline   Reply With Quote