View Single Post
Old May 27 2012, 04:14 PM   #7
lvsxy808
Rear Admiral

Re: DS9 Season 10, ep 10x20 - "In the Stars" (part 1 of 3)

ACT FIVE

FADE IN:

63 EXT. DEEP SPACE NINE

Establishing the station, with the Defiant, the Dominion ship and the Even Odds all in a row around the docking ring. We focus on the Even Odds, crawling with work bees and repair crews...

64 INT. DS9 – DOCKING RING CORRIDOR

Vaughn waits by the airlock, heavy-hearted. Other officers come and go from the ship, busy working on repairs and analyses. After a moment, Kira emerges slowly into the corridor. She’s a long way away, mind full of worries.

VAUGHN
Captain? Are you alright?

KIRA
Uhh... yeah. I, uhh... I need
to speak to Benjamin.

VAUGHN
I thought you might. But it’s
easier said than done...

KIRA
Why? What happened?

65 INT. DS9 – PROMENADE

Quark carries a tray of drinks out to a group of customers sat at an outside table. That done, he turns and JUMPS...

QUARK
Aah!

...Because the Aarruri family are approaching. Pif leads the way, striding on confidently with his six tiny puppies following behind, and Sett bringing up the rear. They gaze around, astonished, seeing the massive, bustling, sprawling array of the Promenade for the first time.

PIF
Come on, kids. We’re on the
other side of the galaxy!
Let’s explore!

And they carry on their way, the nervous puppies making sure to stay safely between their parents. All around, the people watch in mild surprise, quickly turning to awws.

Quark however cowers back, holding up the tray to protect himself. Nog wanders up, amused at his uncle’s response.

QUARK
What are... they?

NOG
They’re called Aarruri, Uncle.
They’re from the Gamma Quadrant.

They smile tensely but politely as the dog-aliens pass on their way to the windows. Quark mutters under his breath...

QUARK
Furry things creep me out.

NOG
(rictus grin)
I know. Just smile.

66 INT. DS9 – INFIRMARY

A sudden YELL – the Cardassian medic Glessin has jerked awake and is terrified, confused, looking around himself.

GLESSIN
What - ? Where am I?

Bashir rushes to his side, tries to calm him.

BASHIR
It’s alright, you’re safe. My
name’s Julian, I’m helping you
and your crew mates.

GLESSIN
You’re... human?

BASHIR
That’s right.

GLESSIN
But this room – it’s Cardassian.

BASHIR
Yes, this is Deep Space Nine.
You’re in the Alpha Quadrant.

GLESSIN
This is Terok Nor?

And how does he feel about that? He doesn’t know. Then the door opens and Glessin GASPS again. Bashir turns to see why – Taran’atar has entered, with Jake and Rena behind him.

BASHIR
Ambassador...

TARAN’ATAR
Doctor. Are they recovered?

BASHIR
Not yet. But they will be.

Rena steps closer to Glessin, who is a bit uncomfortable because of the Jem’Hadar. But Rena’s soothing manner helps. Meanwhile, Jake has approached another bio-bed, carrying the injured but conscious Dez.

JAKE
Dez... it’s good to see you.

DEZ
That’s funny, cause I wish I’d
never seen you in my life.

JAKE
Dez, I -

DEZ
Save it. I just hope you made
your precious father proud.

Jake exchanges an uncomfortable look with Rena...

67 INT. B’HALA CAVES

Sisko lies asleep on his bedroll at the foot of the bantaca spire, tossing and turning in his vision-dream.

RENA (v.o.)
The Sisko is linear.

68 INT. SISKO’S HOUSE – LIVING ROOM

Back inside the vision. Sisko stands in his living room, grabbing a RENA PROPHET by the arms, as a JAKE PROPHET and KASIDY PROPHET (holding baby Rebecca) look on.

SISKO
I know I’m linear! That’s why
I need your help. This body –
Rena. Tell me who she is.

69 EXT. SISKO’S HOUSE – GARDEN

When Jake first introduced Rena to the family, by the tree behind the house, in 9x10 “Fragments and Omens.”

JAKE PROPHET
This is Azeni Korena... my wife.

SISKO
Yes, I get that. But what else?
I know she’s important. Why?

70 EXT. SISKO’S HOUSE – GARDEN

Now Sisko is sat at the base of the tree, discussing with Vaughn, as in 10x02 “Brave New World.”

VAUGHN PROPHET
The Sisko has forgotten. The
Sisko is linear. But there are
many lines. The Sisko taught
us this.

SISKO
Many lines...

It’s starting to dawn on him. The Vaughn Prophet gazes at him, as Sisko’s memory starts to force itself forwards...

71 MONTAGE FROM PREVIOUS EPS

Flashes of memory, quick moments that come and go, building in speed and intensity...

-- Adult Jake introduces time-displaced Sisko to his future wife (4x03 “The Visitor”)

-- Three comet fragments approach the Gamma end of the wormhole (3x15 “Destiny”)

-- In engineering, Sisko is caught in a warp core discharge and phases out of existence (4x03 “The Visitor”)

-- The four “Hands” standing in a circle (from earlier)

-- Sisko stands in the white space of the Temple, as older Jake is unable to rescue him (4x03 “The Visitor”)

-- Raiq looks curiously into Kira’s face, on the bridge of the Defiant (10x12 “Heresy”)

-- Rena’s drawing of the figures at Yyn (from earlier)

-- Vaughn punches Sisko in the face, by the old tree behind his house (9x24 “Ha’mara”)

-- Sisko standing in the circle of numerous other alternate Siskos (9x21 “Fearful Symmetry”)

-- In the open mouth of the wormhole, the Defiant bucks as it’s rocked by a distortion wave (4x03 “The Visitor”)

-- Sisko curled up at the base of the bantaca, crying in the arms of Prylar Eivos (from later)

-- In engineering, Sisko is caught in a warp core discharge and phases out of existence (repeated)

72 INT. B’HALA CAVES

Prylar Eivos dashes urgently into the bantaca chamber, coming to see what the noise is. It’s Sisko, awake now and wailing in anguish, a desperate crying, his heart broken.

EIVOS
Emissary... what’s wrong...

Sisko can’t answer. Eivos crouches by him and holds him.
Sisko collapses into Eivos’s arms, weeps against his chest.

EIVOS
Emissary, whatever it is, it
will be alright. The Prophets
will take care of us.

Sisko still can’t answer. But the sobs are slowly coming under control. Eivos doesn’t want to pry, only to comfort.

EIVOS
Did you find what you sought?

SISKO
Yes.
(beat)
And I wish I hadn’t.

As Sisko sniffles into Eivos’s robes...

73 EXT. ASCENDANT ENCAMPMENT - NIGHT

Cardinal Essk stands on a small dais at the bottom of the Ascendant encampment, surrounded by ceremonial flames.

ESSK
I wish I did not need to say
these things, my brothers and
sisters. I wish... I did not
know the things I know.

Now we see that Essk is orating for the entire Ascendant crowd that fills the arena. They’re curious, a little confused, but listening. Essk is giving it all the power of his position, proclaiming with strength and dignity.

ESSK
I know it will be hard for you
to hear. But I believe... that
Mistress Iliana has lied to us.

Confused and slightly alarmed mutters around the crowd. Can the Cardinal possibly be serious?

The edge of the encampment. As Essk continues his speech in the background, Iliana strides up from the shuttle park.

ESSK (o.s.)
She has tried to usurp your love
and faith from its due course –
the doctrine that has sustained
the children of the True in our
great Quest for millennia!

Raiq is waiting for Iliana. The Knight nods towards the centre of the encampment, where Essk holds court.

Down in the centre of the amphitheatre, Essk passionately preaches to his worried flock.

ESSK
It pains me to say it, but I
do not trust that she has the
interests of the Ascendants
at her centre.

Iliana’s voice echoes out from somewhere within the crowd, amplified by the bowl formation of the encampment.

ILIANA (o.s.)
I knew you were jealous, Essk.
But I never thought you would
stoop this low.

The gathered Ascendants gasp, looking around for the source of the voice. Whispers continue to spread. Essk puffs him-self up to his greatest height of importance. He is scared, but determined to go on with what he believes is right.

ESSK
Jealousy is my least concern,
Mistress. I know where you
have been. I know with whom
you have been speaking.

Iliana makes her way through the crowd, strolling, not concerned in the least. The crowd parts to let her through.

ILIANA
Your own fear and mistrust has
led you to spy on me. I feel
sorry for you, Cardinal.

ESSK
Fear for yourself, Mistress.
Hear me, children of the True.
This woman, who claims to light
the path to the Fortress, has
even today consorted with the
heretics who block that path.

Gasps of amazement around the crowd as Essk goes on...

ESSK
Do you deny it, Iliana? I heard
it with my own ears, as you held
your secret meeting with the
Bajoran woman, Kira. You spoke
of meeting her before. Of yet
more races who shame the True
with their false names. I heard
you say you do not wish her dead.

All this adds more confusion to the crowd of Ascendants. But Iliana cuts through it with style and grace.

ILIANA
Do you hear that, Ascendants?
The fear in his voice? He knows
he speaks heresy. But he is so
scared of losing his position,
of losing your love, that he is
willing to keep you from your
rightful place in the Fortress
simply to remain your Cardinal.

ESSK
No! She lies to you!

ILIANA
Will you allow him to keep you
from the Fortress, Ascendants?
Will you let him desecrate the
very point of your existence
for his own selfish purposes?

At the back of the crowd, Raiq shouts out loud.

RAIQ
Never!

Other knights begin to pick up the sentiment, repeating Raiq’s oath. The crowd is turning against Essk, and he knows it. By now Iliana has reached the dais at the centre.

ILIANA
What do we do to those who have
lost faith? To the heretics who
profess faith, but have none?

BLAS
They die and burn!

ROARS of approval from the crowd. Essk’s golden, segmented eyes flare in panic. Iliana turns to him, the baying crowd at her back, and smiles.

ILIANA
Then bring the stake!

Before Essk can protest any further, knights rush forward from the crowd, religious bloodlust inflamed. They GRAB Essk roughly and drag him off the dais. They bring him in front of the crowd, hold him still.

By some unseen means, a gleaming silver stake BURSTS out of the ground. A knight waves a hand - silver metallic ropes coil out from the stake and grab Essk by the arms and legs. They tighten, pulling him back against the stake.

He struggles in desperation, but there’s nothing he can do. Their job done, the knights step back. The crowd roars, thrusting their burning spears to the sky. Essk shouts -

ESSK
Wait! You cannot do this! I
am your Cardinal!

Iliana steps close to him, speaks confidentially.

ILIANA
They’re not listening, Essk.

ESSK
Mistress... please...

ILIANA
Now you believe? Too late. The
funny thing is, you actually
played right into my hands.
(off Essk’s
confusion)
I deliberately cut you out,
Essk. I raised Raiq above you
precisely to make you jealous.
And it worked like a charm.

ESSK
But... why?

ILIANA
To make sure they’ll follow me.
Once they see what happens to
anyone who doubts me – even a
Cardinal – they’ll all follow
me into the Fire without a
thought. Because I am the Fire,
Essk. And what does Fire do?

ESSK
(resigned)
It burns.

Iliana steps back. She makes eye contact with the weeping Cardinal. He knows this is the end. Iliana waves a hand...

And flames BURST into life around the stake. He SCREAMS as his flesh begins to crackle. The ROAR of the crowd grows, building to a fever pitch as they thrill to the sight of a heretic burning at the stake. The flames grow higher and higher, swallowing Essk completely, his agonised shrieks echoing off the stone walls of the encampment.

As the light of the flames flickers on Iliana’s serenely smiling, watching face...

ILIANA (v.o.)
I’m coming for you next, Nerys.

BLACK OUT:

END OF SHOW

Read Deep Space Nine, Season 10
All 22 eps available to read on-screen or download and keep!

Last edited by lvsxy808; May 28 2012 at 09:24 AM.
lvsxy808 is offline   Reply With Quote