View Single Post
Old May 27 2012, 07:01 AM   #20
Paper Moon
Commander

Re: DS9 Season 10, ep 10x08 - "Property Values"

lvsxy808 wrote: View Post
Paper Moon wrote: View Post
So I know I'm late to the party right now, but I needed to chime in...
I'm very grateful that you went to such extent to reply, it's very gratifying.
My pleasure!

Reading these make me feel like I'm watching the original DS9 episodes over again for the first time. Except the stories are different, and, for the most part, I don't know what's coming next. That's a great feeling.
"For the most part" ?

I am trying to set up for some of things we see later in Rough Beasts, in the same way TNG's A Time to... series set up Nemesis.
Yeah, you caught on to what I meant; there are certain things that I know will (in all likelihood) eventually happen:

I agree that DS9-R has been a bit heavy, considering that DS9 itself has the highest comedy-to-drama ratio of all the shows. I tried to bring the light back a bit, which is easier with an episodic format. There are two more comedy-ish episodes to come from where you're at.
Ooh, yay! Looking forward!

It's a nice pairing, isn't it? Two fantasy characters who find each other more real than anyone else.
Hadn't thought of it that way myself, but I agree. (It does bring up the interesting question of the, hmm, completeness of Vic's program... )

I'm quite proud of that one myself - pointing out Quark's own contradictions in a way he can't deny. He's gradually got more hew-mon like in his treatment of females, but he doesn't like that about himself, because it conflicts with his strongly held Ferengi values. And I don't think anyone but Nog could point it out to him in quite that way.
The novels, and now your scripts, have continued Quark's story arc in a very interesting way. I enjoy how he gets to throw his weight around as ambassador; gives him the prestige/power/recognition I think he's always wanted, but in a different way than he expected. And the continuing evolution of his attitude towards women is completely believable the way it's depicted here.

Big grin!

It's one of my faves too. I love that Garak is bouncing Yoshi on his knee and playing space-shuttle with him at the beginning of the episode, and killing a man with his bare hands at the end, but it's all Garak. The crazy thing is that Jartek actually thought he was doing what was best for Cardassia. He's not evil, he just miscalculated horrendously. About the teaser - I hadn't originally intended on returning to it for the last scene. But as I came to write it, I realised it was perfect, as if my subconscious had been planning it all alone.
I see what you mean about Jartek. I think there is something to be said for the notion that all evil derives from horrendous miscalculations– but that is a discussion for another day. I did like how Jartek's intentions do appear to be good in the long run, and it's interesting how Garak continues the cycle of violence in order to punish Jartek for basically doing the same. Looking forward to reading your adaptation of "The Calling"; I read it recently, and was disappointed. Didn't seem to really be a Star Trek story, so I look forward to seeing how you clarified it.

Question/theory: could the Vinculum be related to the wormhole and the Orbs? The way the Vinculum experience was written makes it sound a bit like an Orb experience. And we're seeing lots of Bajor-Cardassia parallels being unearthed...

Bless him, he's just so out of his depth, but still trying. And then he's got L'Haan whispering in his ear the whole time too...
I loved how Taran'atar was using his keen perceptions to pick up on people's body language. Adaptation at work!

You know, it never occurred to me that with all of O'Brien and Bashir's holosuite adventures, we never actually saw them just heard them. I didn't even realise i was breaking a taboo with this. Sorry!
Nah, no biggie. I don't think it reaches the level of taboo, and anyway, I think it makes a statement the way you did it. It's almost like, "Hey, things just aren't the way they used to be, no matter how hard we try." You couldn't have done that scene outside of the holosuite for that very reason.

I get the feeling Bashir thinks nightmares are juvenile, that he should be past that, even associates it with his pre-enhancement childhood state. I think that's why he's so determined to find a scientific explanation for the dreams, because to admit he has bad dreams would be embarrassing. In an attempt to prove he's not a child any more, he ends up acting more childish than ever.
Hmm, yeah, I can buy that. Particularly in the light of "Cathedral." (Perhaps there could be some visual callbacks to that episode during his dream sequences?)

I do feel like this is a "director's episode" where a lot of what I'm trying to convey would depend on the director finding the right shots to create the right atmosphere.
Totally agree. That was what I was trying to say, but failed.

I wasn't sure anybody ever got that title! Glad to see somebody did.

But... umm... I'm a boy. Last time I checked anyway.
Haha, yeah, I'm really sorry about that. It was after 3am over here when I was writing that. I knew your name was "Martyn," too! No brains...

Interesting... another poster said that she thought I wrote Ezri really well, because she didn't like her on the show and she didn't like her in my stories either. So at least I was being consistent! But I really do think Ezri has that bratty, petulant aspect to her character in a way Jadzia never did. You're right - since she started integrating her past lives more, the arrogance and hubris has grown. It's an interesting direction to take the character, and I wonder if they're doing it deliberately.
Yeah, I agree that you write Ezri well. I think it's a logical extension of the character as we saw her on the show (too young and inexperienced to be joined). Despite the revelation that it is biologically possible to join 50% of Trills, it seems clear to me that it's not psychologically sound to do so. Ezri is exhibit A.
I'm a little worried I've actually been emphasising that aspect of Quark a bit too much. But it's nice to see that he does genuinely care for her, even if nothing's ever going to come of it.
It doesn't seem that way to me. Quark has a very long character arc, and I think this "tenderness development" is perfectly in line with that.

Keep reading.
Ha, already have! Half-way through 10x11! I must admit, I'm really not crazy about the Ro-gets-addicted-to-painkillers idea; it's extremely plausible and very well done, there's just something that I find... extremely depressing about it. (Moreso than anything else I've read/seen in Trekdom.) Can't quite explain it.

Done it - here and here.
Thank you! Very cool.

And thanks again for such thoughtful responses. It's very much appreciated.
My pleasure! I will post more responses in the main discussion thread after I've read more!
Paper Moon is offline   Reply With Quote