View Single Post
Old May 27 2012, 03:09 AM   #115
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

Re: Typhon Pact: Plagues of Night by DRGIII Review Thread (Spoilers!)

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
^ That one's not surprising. Isn't there a past indication of a "thing" between those two?
Yup, there's some cute moments and even a genuine "D'aww..." moment from Ro's end.

Christopher wrote: View Post
It may feel like that to them, but that wasn't his intent. The word "abandon" means to give up all concern or responsibility for a thing. Sisko did nothing of the kind. He believed that the only way he could fulfill his responsibility to the family he loved was to leave them. They may feel abandoned, but that does not mean that he actually abandoned them. It would be more accurate to say he renounced his ties to them.
Generally speaking I tend to agree with Kant too, but in this case the way he went about it and the effect it would have (and as we see later, did have) on them is more important I think. He didn't even renounce his ties to them for an entire year, leaving Kasidy twisting in the wind.

Again, frankly, it's pretty anachronistic to say that they were "abandoned" just because the man of the house left. That implies that Kasidy is some helpless waif who can't survive without her husband.
Err... that might be the implication you get from it, but I don't think it's at all what anybody else means; certainly I don't. In fact, as wee see in Plagues of Night,
. And Ben's not the first father to leave his family because "they're better off without me."

How do you not already know the answer to that, after all the dozens of times this argument has been rehashed on this board? Because he was absolutely convinced that they would suffer or die if he didn't leave them. You know that.

How many stories have there been about characters who sacrificed their lives to save their families, or who voluntarily accepted imprisonment to protect their loved ones from persecution? Fiction and life are full of stories where people left their loved ones forever in order to protect them.
See, the difference in those latter situations is that they're dealing with an actual, legitimate threat and not a vague sense of "threat" possibly brought about by depression and deepened with self-justification. What's more, those characters whose family member sacrificed their lives or freedom to protect them usually understand or have it explained to them why - whereas Sisko, for his first year, didn't even do that much.

Fundamentally I find Sisko's logic in Rough Beasts utterly flawed on the face of it because the prophecy that keeps getting quoted ("you will know only sorrow") isn't just vague, it's patently untrue because of the birth of his daughter and the first few years of her life which are described as very happy, good years. Alternately, it's an axiomatic truth that's meaningless, because having people in our lives that are important will ultimately lead to sorrow - at the very least when they die.

But even aside from that, accepting he "feels like he's doing the right thing," the way he set about it was just terrible because he didn't communicate with them for a year specifically because he feared confronting Kasidy because she might convince him he's wrong. What's more, and this is from Plagues to be fair,

That's because your experience is of life in 20th- and 21st-century America, a society where families need monetary income to survive and thus abandonment and failure to pay child support go hand in hand. It doesn't follow that the same equivalence would apply in a moneyless society centuries in the future.
... alright, fine then. I've never meant it in the financial sense for the reasons you note since it has shades of meaning even today, but it's not at all worth arguing about.